Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Gluttony


The last two weeks have been relaxing and gluttonous, as we took full advantage of our resources during our stay in Salt Lake.  Thanks to the hospitality of our wonderful friends, we were wined and dined almost every day for the last week in Utah, and it was great catching up with everyone.  Whether it was rolling sushi, making pizzas, or just having brunch, we were able to eat, drink, and be merry with pretty much everyone we were hoping to see.  When we weren’t stuffing ourselves silly with great company, we were romping around our favorite SLC spots during the day…day hikes in the Wasatch, disc golfing at Creekside, playing soccer with the pickup group where Mike and I first met, and floating the Weber!
 


And of course we had to spend a morning climbing in Big Cottonwood Canyon!



It was so great seeing everyone, thanks so much to those in SLC!  It felt like we had never left, we really would love to move back there if it worked out that way.  On our last day, Mike went golfing with Paul, so I decided to hike towards Lone Peak in hopes of spotting some wild flowers blooming. I wasn’t disappointed, and had a beautiful sendoff hike in the mountains





The next day, we left for Cincinnati for Katie’s wedding!!  We got in to Ohio late Wednesday night, got a few hours rest, then went to King’s Island for the day.  It’s been a few years since I had been there, and this was Mike’s first time.  There were so many new rides and we decided to hit as many as we could, so we were at the park from open until close, it was so much fun!  Despite some early queasiness, we rallied and packed in 12 hours of rollercoasters and water park rides.  What a way to welcome back Cincinnati! The next day we went frisbee golfing with my parents and my younger brother before we went to the rehearsal dinner. I was really excited to get to see Katie again! 
 

Katie is the first of my really good friends to get hitched so this was the first time I've ever been in a wedding party. To make it even more exciting I got to be her maid of honor! I was so happy to be with her on her big day. We spent the evening dancing, laughing, drinking, and eating delicious food (as most people tend to do at weddings...) Pam came down from Cleveland to be at the wedding too so we got to hang out also! It was so great seeing all of my old Cincinnati friends and seeing Katie's family. I feel so spoiled to have all of these amazing people in my life!



The day after the wedding me, Pam, Mike, and my parents all went to my old climbing gym. I got to teach Pam how to lead belay! And we also made a pit stop to one of my favorite places in Cincinnati: the Root Beer Stand!!!

 

We left Cincinnati super early this morning and are making our way back to Salt Lake City for a few more days.  We start the trail in only 6 days, and couldn’t be more pumped.  We’ve spent so much time recently talking about the trip with all our friends and family that we’re really hyped up and anxious to get going.  I think feelings of excitement far surpass nervousness and angst, and we can’t wait to take our first steps on the trail.  We really hope that we have convinced a few of our friends to join us on the trail; we’ve tried our hardest to sell it to you all.  We’ve received so much great support, advice, and encouragement.  Wish us luck!  Our posts will likely be from the trail from here on out.



No comments:

Post a Comment